Wednesday 16th September
A very relaxed start to the day after a reasonable nights sleep. Our shift wasn't until 11am and was in Cafe Clayton doing lunches, a much reduced volunteer presence as there are not really many families around during the day, some new arrivals and some falsies who are departing. There was however a very big meeting going on with over 100 employees, a monthly meeting which takes about an hour followed by a lunch, supplied today by The Olive Garden, a popular local restaurant. I was helping Mary Ann who used to work in volunteer services but now has a different role she was getting numerous jugs filled with water, iced tea, sprite and lemonade, between us we were great but did have a few mishaps............... apparatus not Mary Ann thinks I am hilarious , not sure if that is a good or bad thing but we did giggle.a very elegant lady came to fill her cup up with ice and was extremely charming as I offered to do it for her. I had wondered if she might be the President of GKTW so decided to ask her and she was indeed Pamela Landwirth, a past wife of Henri, who founded the charity, she is still very heavily involved and is often seen around at the village, indeed her offices are there above the Towne Hall, I felt privileged to have met her today.
Jill, Geraldine and myself were bussers, tray carriers and drink operatives, at one point the nozzle came off my Mountain Berry dispenser, into a guests drink. I laughed and told him I wouldn't be charging him any extra before repairing said nozzle and making a fresh drink. Jill and Geraldine were at this point responding to another lady volunteers question about me..... is she always so hyper, Jill said yes, I think so!
After our shift we drove off for our treat, back to Longhorn Steakhouse, excellent again! While we were there I noticed that all of us kept forgetting things, names , times, occasions etc. I said I think it must be catching as I am doing it now too, Jill said had I thought they might have caught it from me., so cheeky.
Tonight was one of my favourite shifts, Village Idol. Only one Let it Go sang tonight, and danced to once.we had hula hoop performers, comedians, jump ropes aka skipping and a pianist. We whooped and hollered, clapped, gave standing ovations and had a thoroughly wonderful time.
There have been two large church groups volunteering this week so are really getting to know them as we come across them a lot, often you can volunteer with different people every time.
My funny moment today, sorry Jill, it was you! Jill obviously had some thing important to say but unfortunately what came out of her mouth was completely unintelligible, could have been in Swahili - the reason for this, you wonder, well Jill have just placed a Lindt chocolate into her mouth and not one word was understood.
Well another early start tomorrow so goodnight.
Haven't spoken to Hanna, Lucy or Allan today ( that bit was for Hanna)
No comments:
Post a Comment