Sunday, 20 September 2015

Sunday 20th September

No morning shift today as we had decided to have a more relaxed start to the day with the intention of having a bit of a lie in, bother and blast I was awake at 4 am! It was a beautiful morning, clear blue sky and not as humid as it has been, we ate outside which is always lovely to do.

The reason for our not doing a shift this morning was because I wanted to take Jill and Geraldine to Celebration and visit the Farmer's Market there and to have lunch at the restaurant I found when Debbie was here, the Columbia. I used my sat nav today and typed in an address of a shop we visited before, Woof Gangs  so had no trouble getting there. We looked in Woof Gangs and then I went to show them the restaurant menu board to make sure it was to their taste, there were a lot of people in a line going completely around the corner, about a hundred or so, I thought they were waiting for a bus trip or something. I was wrong! As I approached a waiter who was setting up tables I asked it it was possible to book a table for later and he said not today Ma'am as today is a special day where we have a limited menu of 4 items and everything is priced at 1905 prices,- the penny dropped, those people in line were waiting for a cheap dinner not a bus trip! Oh and there would have been a three or four hours wait. We declined but have decided to go tomorrow after our morning shift instead.
Every Sunday in Celebration there is a Farmer's Market and seeing as how that I know
Jill because of the Artisans on Friday Market we hold in Stamford during the summer months we thought it appropriate to go see the competition and maybe steal some ideas. It was very nice and there were more crafts than foodstuffs, I asked a stall holder how much they paid for a pitch and she thought it was about $30 for a 4 hour slot...... we are only a fiver for 6 hours, good value. We visited a few shops, told people about GKTW and bumped into Papa Bear and Momma Bear, two volunteers  we met yesterday at the village. This couple were grandparents of a young girl who had a wish there some 11 years ago, they have lost her but return to the village twice a year to volunteer using their vacation time, we liked them.

Having missed our opportunity to eat lunch out we decide to just stop off at Walmarts to get something to eat there. Getting out of the car I saw a guy I recognised and who obviously recognised me, he was wearing a GKTW T-shirt  with a name badge on that said Tim, so thought it was someone we had worked with recently until he asked me if I had found my passport last year! I was not in anything village related, in civvies in fact so he had obviously remembered me from last year- pretty neat! ( started talking American again)

Okay now to tonight's shift, this time we were on Candyland and I managed to persuade Megan, the entertainment person for tonight that we would be perfect as Riddlers - I have played this role a few times before and quite enjoyed it, the evening was delayed slightly as someone in a villa right where we were to set up the party had obviously needed 9911, the villages emergency number for a medical problem/emergency. These guys arrive very quickly and with no sirens blaring so as not to freak out all the other families, they are there pretty quickly too. Not sure what was wrong or what happened as we were gathered to get out the stuff needed after they left.

The evening was great fun and the children loved it which is what it is all about. There was quite a gang from Disney there tonight to volunteer, including a young girl from Manchester Metropole Uni who was with Disney on her Uni placement. We exchanged email addresses although I doubt I will hear from her.

On our return back to the Villa we were replaying last nights adventures on the train and must confess to a bit of hilarity going on! Lorna's train signing off for tonight as she is running out of steam. Goodnight.




No comments:

Post a Comment