Sunday, 13 September 2015

Sunday 13th September

Debbie has arrive home safe and sound, she had arranged that her husband, Frank should pick her up but told him not to park up she would text him on arrival and he could just pick her up from outside the terminal, this she did but then she realised she was at .Heathrow and not at Gatwick where she had flown out of! Thank goodness Frank was on the ball and was in the right airport and at the right time.

Well I got up, I thought,  in time for my breakfast shift this morning but when I looked at my watch as I was about to get my cereal ready it was already 710 so I just grabbed a kitkat chunky and left the house to get there for my 730 start, had already taken my insulin so it was needs must.

Today I was Concierge again, a good job to have as you actually meet and greet the families. Passed on some information to the family from Nuneaton that I  promised to help last night, they are after a particular style and colour of Nike trainers from the Nike outlet store so I found the address and telephone number for them to call. It is another service offered here at GKTW , they will take the families shopping should they wish to do so, great for  families from overseas who want to grab a bargain.

Today was the time to say goodbye to a couple of families, you may remember me writing about a delightful young man, a wish child who rushed to help another wish child who was in a wheelchair at Village Idol the other day, well he and his lovely family are leaving to go back to their home in Newfoundland this morning. Unfortunately the poor lad was suffering from quite nasty sunburn (hmm don't ask what the parents were up to to allow that to happen) so he didn't make it to breakfast but his lovely sister made sure that she got 2 big boxes of take outs to take back for him and his mum., bless her she didn't want to go home and told me she would miss me so much.

I really feel that I am fortunate to be here for three weeks and working two shifts a day as a lot of families recognise you and will chat, especially when they hear the accent , I do tell them that it is them and not me who has the accent though, makes them smile. A lot of the volunteers come on the same day each week or come with a group so, as the families are only here for one week, they do not get the same chance to interact.

The Dad who thought I was an actress last night give me a big grin this morning but still hasn't remembered who he thought I was.... I decided perhaps to be Helen Mirren rather than Kate Winslett, a little more believable I thought.  Didn't see the other family from New York that are leaving today but we are now FB friends so will be able to see how their little girl gets on.

Debbie would have been so proud of me this morning because I took over her role as Boss at breakfast. There was a lovely bunch of youngsters from a church group  who had travelled a couple of hours from Tampa to volunteer, they had been to an event yesterday but all came along this morning , they had no idea of what was needed re cleaning and sanitising the eating area so as no one else was about I guided them. Before I arrived a zealous youngster cleared away a full plate of breakfast, he thought the parent had gone, but no, he had only gone for a hot drink. Shame as the food service had then shut. I volunteered him for doing some of the vacuuming cheered by his friends.

I also met a lovely young lady who originated from South Vietnam,she was tiny and looked about 10 but in fact she was married with two children aged 20 and 17

After my shift I made my way to Tarjei (Target) to get some shopping for the arrival of Jill and
Geraldine and to get myself something for dinner, have just finished off some Tilapi, mash potatoes and veg, first proper meal for a few days now. Got absolutely drenched shopping though, another real storm, let's hope for some drier days soon

Well just had a phone call from Peter, the Gentleman from Car on the Drive who is picking Jill and Geraldine up from the airport to bring here, they obviously had had a long wait to get through immigration etc but they have arrived and on their way to join me now.

More tomorrow

.

No comments:

Post a Comment