Tuesday, 8 September 2015


Tuesday 8th  September

600 o'clock start to the day with a phone call from Allan via Messenger ie a free call, brilliant to be able to talk to someone via mobile to iPad with no time delay and no cost. Great reception too.

Allan had a good flight to Moscow but said the 5 1/2 hour trip from Moscow to Ulaan Bataar was the most uncomfortable ever with barely any leg room. On arrival they found it much colder than they expected but went off to view some statue and then off to the National Park for a bit of a trek. Lunch he said was indescribably bad, pieces of leathery mutton with lumps of fat attached. He was extremely tired but it was a long day for them.

I did forget to let you know that my expected house guest, Ann from Pennsylvania had to call off her trip at almost the last minute. Unfortunately her sister in law had been involved in a very nasty car accident and is in a bad way so Ann felt she needed to stay at home to support her family. I was so looking forward to her stay as we don't really know each other yet as we only passed a few words together last year.........namely Chicken in your Pants

Our shift this morning was in the Castle of Miracles again but with a Nickelodeon character, who turn out to be Aang from Avatar, seems he has saved the world so we of course, thanked him and shook his hand. If I knew how to add the picture of the three of us I would but unfortunately I don't.

This was a fairly short shift as Aang only stayed for 3/4 hour but we stayed on to help another volunteer, Jojo as she was by herself . We didn't have any more children come in to do or see their stars so we helped replenish the Dream Pillows in the secret hiding place away from the children's eyes. Think I have already said that every child, not just the wish child get a pillow from Hermes the Owl, Jill and Geraldine have been busy making pillow cases for these pillows and are bringing them with them next week.

As we had finished by 10 am we decided to drive to the Premium Outlet Store for a couple of hours , my suggestion too Jane! Only bought a couple of things, a bag for holidays and a nail buffing kit, really impressive too. He started off at $50 but in the end we got 2 for that price, we were happy so that was the main thing. Had lunch in Starbucks,  no Costa in the U.S. much is the pity. Got back to villa about 230

Tonight's shift was in Mayor Clayton's Cafe, we arrived early as we wanted to be food servers, that seemed to work as I was asked to serve hot food and Debbie was on the salads. I went to the hot food station which I have worked at many times before and greeted the two other volunteers with a hello and what would you like me to do - stony silence so I tried again really cheerfully - no response at all.at this point Eric,who was in charge came over and said to me it seems you are not needed here so could you go on the drinks station. I was more than a little annoyed at the lady who was so rude by ignoring me that steam was coming out of my ears. I decided that I would go tell her that the way she behave was out of order as we were all volunteers and should respect each other... she feigned innocence so I accepted that but it still rankles a little, especially as she disappeared fairly promptly at the end and did not come to help with the table clearance.

Now I actually really enjoyed my shift although it was very tiring and busy. In all we had 9 volunteers doing the work that normally has 23 volunteers doing. I single handedly served every single person who came to dine with a massive choice of drinks, every conceivable fizzy drink, tons of ice,  iced tea in 4 different versions, coffee , tea and hot chocolate too. I now think I am a serious contender for Head Barista now and may even apply for a job in Costa when I get home. I really wish that I had one of those FitBits that counted how many steps you take as  I probably would be world champion today!

Funny bits today were  Peter, an English chap who comes to volunteer every year as his son had had a wish before he passed. Peter let calling me Mary, as in  Mary Poppins so I would keep breaking into my version of Supercalifrachalistic , we did make a few people smile.

Off to my bed now as a very early start tomorrow, Ice Cream for breakfast shift. Yummy.  Also Allan is going to ring about 6 am.

Goodnight





No comments:

Post a Comment