Thursday, 3 September 2015

Wednesday 2nd September 2015

An early start today, up at 330 and on the road by 4.30 am. Made it to Gatwick by 7am but would not like to have left it any later as even at that hour the roads were busy. The M25 was moving but solid  4 lane traffic in both directions.

Did bag drop at airport as had already checked in, really straightforward now so we then looked for somewhere to have breakfast. Weatherspoons it was as it was a little less expensive and Costa was not there as it apparently was undergoing a massive make over. Contacted Debbie who was still on her way from Bournemouth, Frank her husband was apparently calm but she said that she was feeling very nervous. No need everything went so smoothly and we found each other after we had been through security and instantly began chatting and laughing like we had known each other for ever.

I must mention again, we hadn't seen each other since we met on a cruise in 2008 and were in a very successful quiz team together. Funnily enough I had a message from the other two quizzers on that same team  (there were the six of us) while we were having breakfast asking which airport we were at as they too were at Gatwick but at the North Terminal, they, Helen and Nigel were off on a cruise. Shame we weren't all at the same terminal!

We got on board the lane almost immediately, no time for shopping at all, apart from the emergency rations of two bottles of Prosceco. I got to my seat, emergency exit one upstairs and told the stewardess that we were off to volunteer at GKTW and that in the last two years they had given us a complimentary glass of champagne, didn't work this time so ended up buying  two small bottles, one for each of us to have with our meal. The flight was good apart from I knocked by champagne over as I stood up to go and toast Debbie who was sitting two rows behind me, it went all over my seat and I had to request a replacement seat which took them quite a while to get sorted for me. Ironically Debbie was getting a little squiffy as the lady she was sitting next too was also drinking a large bottle of. Champagne celebrating her 50th birthday, they also had a bottle for her daughter who was celebrating her 18th. They kept plying Debbie with alcohol and she was naturally much too polite to refuse.

Watched two films on the plane, almost embarrassing myself in fact as the first was a documentary film called Building Jerusalem, all about the 2003 Rugby World Cup. Lots of Martin Johnson and Jonny Wilkinson talking and of course we saw that final moment when Jonny kicked THAT drop goal the post at the end of extra time for ENGLAND to WIN!!!! Yes I was at that match and on the plane I was nearly as excited as if it was just happening, punching the air and almost bursting out into Swing Low!!!

On arrival at Orlando airport I was so impressed with the set up re immigration, those that had ESTA's and had been recently to the States were directed to an electronic system and entered all the details requested, then straight to the guy on the desk who asked me why I was there. I of course told him and he was so lovely, he said he  didn't get many people through that were making a difference to the world and I was his second that day. Missy Lorna, he said  thank you and have a wonderful stay in the U.S. The welcome and security set up has so much improved, nomore people barking orders at you to get in this line of that line without showing any sign of friendliness.

Peter from Car on the Drive was their to meet us and within 35 minutes were at the villa where our rather smart car was waiting for us on the drive. Will look later to see what it is but it is white, has central locking and drives well.

We made the decision to go and get some provisions in, so off we went to Walmarts as I do at least know the way there and we now have the essentials - milk, bread, eggs, butter, fruit and beer. We got a cooked chicken and some salad so supper was sorted.

I managed to stay awake until about 10.30, then unpack, had a quick shower and zonked out. Awake now at 3.20 am but decided to do this a hopefully get another hour or so sleep.

Just Face timed Allan, really easy to do.
More later

No comments:

Post a Comment